Pay attention that growing marijuana may be subject to special restrictions and regulation in your country or state. Please contact your attorney to obtain advice before cultivating cannabis.
Do purple weed strains ring a bell with you? As the name implies, they have a slight mauve tinge in contrast to the traditional chlorophyll-studded or green varieties. Considered to possess a superior quality in terms of effects and chemical content, purple marijuana strains are among the most sought-after by joint smokers. Whether you're still experimenting with the multitude of strains and flavors or already have a favorite one, purple weed strains never go out of style.
If you're interested in trading off your traditional weed for these coveted purple strains or simply curious about the therapeutic advantages, existing varieties, and growing tips, keep reading as we discuss the wonders of these amethyst gems!
Benefits of Purple Strains
Although the superior advantage of using a purple weed strain vs. a green stain is yet to be proved scientifically, some users have noted its notable and lasting effects, such as the following:
- Possess anti-depressant properties — One of the uncontested effects of using purple strains of weed is its calming and relaxing chemical compounds. According to some users and a myriad of cannabis studies, these substances in all purple weed strains reduce the effects of perceived depression and anxiety with proper administration.
- Relieve pain — The active compounds contained in a purp weed strain have pain-relieving effects. In a study with 163 individuals using some dark purple strains, smokers who use it for treating chronic pain also are less likely to show episodes of problematic cannabis use patterns compared to others who use it for other activities.
- Contain higher active compounds — The production of anthocyanins or the purple pigment in plants may compromise the THC synthesis in cannabis. On a good note, geneticists have tried to improve strains that can still produce significant concentrations of CBD than regular cultivars.
- Fight off cancer — Purple weed cultivars have significantly elevated levels of anthocyanin, an organic compound known to be a good antioxidant that can fight off cancer. However, as cannabis is smoked and not consumed, the effects are not as considerably beneficial as eating violet-colored veggies.
What Is the Most Purple Marijuanas Strain?
Many purple marijuana strains deserve to be special mention because of their anthocyanin content which gives them a distinct purple hue. The purple strains in our list include Granddaddy Purple, Purple Haze, and Purple Skunk. All these strains possess outstanding qualities, making them highly coveted among enthusiastic smokers.
Best Purple Weed Strains 2022-2023
Ready to know the top purple strains in 2020 and the latest from 2022-2023? Take out your pen and jot down some notes as we reveal the latest and highly coveted strains of all time.
While Indica-dominant hybrids are usually linked to sedative effects, modern biotechnology allowed breeders to develop superior varieties such as the following:
- Grape Ape — Named after its perceptible hint of grape-like aroma, the Grape Ape strain is a product of a three-way cross of Mendocino Purps, Skunk, and Afghani, which are prized for their wild effects. It is known to treat physical and mental illnesses–relieving pain, reducing anxiety, and mitigating the impact of chronic stress.
- Blackwater — It may sound like a pitch-black variety, but the Blackwater strain actually has a deep purple hue due to concentrated amounts of the purple pigment anthocyanin. Users describe it as a “powerful” strain with its potent sedative effects. It is recommended on busy days as this particular purple strain weed has productivity-boosting effects.
- Purple Urkle — Although this strain is genetically composed of 80% cannabis indica, its genealogy remains debatable. However, what is certain about Purple Urkle is that it has a high THC content which can reach up to 26%. With its lasting sedative effects, it has helped a lot of people struggling to sleep and suffering from depression.
- Blue Knight — The purple weed name Blue Knight was baptized with the creative juxtaposition of the parents: Blueberry and Kryptonite. The name could be a marketing ploy, but Blue Knight still deserves a distinction with its luscious scent and soothing effects. When smoked, it releases a trailing aroma of vanilla and slight hints of earthy and wild berry flavors.
- Purple Berry — This purple indica strain is an offspring of the potent Granddaddy Purple and Blueberry strain. However, Purple Berry is considered superior to its parents with its profound, relaxing effects. In addition, it is a preferred choice by many joint smokers in most evening sessions because of its tranquilizing effects and will let you have a restful night.
- Purple Afghani — While its name suggests Asian origin, Purple Afghani rather hails from the breeders of Canada after crossing Afghani 1 and Purple Kush. The resulting variety is packed with THC that can reach up to 25% and has a complex terpene profile described as “cheesy and herby.”
Sativa-dominant purple strains are revered for their soothing properties and are widely renowned by many enthusiasts. You can find some of the most common below:
- Purple Lemon Haze — Looking for a different citrusy kick? Purple Lemon Haze might be for you. It is well-noted for its distinct lemony scent, hence its name, but with a subtle aroma of spices and grapes. A cannabis smokers' favorite, this fragrant weed strain is recommended during those days when you need a little push to get going. Aside from its motivating effects, it is also reported to ease anxiety and depression.
- Purple Haze — A product of breeding Purple Thai and Haze, Purple Haze can spark creativity and motivate you to accomplish your daily goal. Also, it is one of the purple cannabis strains that are effective in regulating mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression. It can even have aphrodisiac effects with the right company and proper usage.
- Purple Haze x Malawi — Another sativa-leaning crossbreed is Purple Haze Malawi, prized for its long-lasting energizing effects and high contents of THC. You can never go wrong with this variety because of its fuss-free cultivation, which can perform well at any given location as long as it is warm, sunny, and has the proper growth maintenance.
- Purple Tangi — Nothing is more versatile than this purple baby weed, for it is primarily used by many medical practitioners in various treatments like insomnia, chronic anxiety, depression, and muscle spasms. Talking about its quality, Purple Tangi ranks not last. With its exuding citrusy and tangerine terpenes, the purple stain gives an electrifying experience that uplifts your ecstatic state.
- Lockdown Kush — Consisting of 60% Sativa and 40% indica characteristics, Lockdown Kush possesses an unequaled terpene profile that emits a unique blend of organic fruity and earthy flavors. Cannabis sommeliers even report this strain to produce a light sweet note reminiscent of a slice of lemon cake. Practical-wise, this strain's dense and short canopy, stretching about 1-1.5m wide and tall, makes it a good candidate for low-lying growing tents and indoor gardens.
- Lemon Cake OG — If you are longing for a refreshing flavor and want to maximize therapeutic effects, put Lemon Cake OG on your list. Avid users say it has a sugary, vanilla-smelling aroma with herby and spicy undertones that lingers through the body when consumed. Its reasonably high THC levels are fast-acting, which prompts any experienced and novice users to get up to work and induce the feeling of being on cloud nine.
- Purple Diesel — A hybrid of two potent strains, Pre-98 Bubba Kush with Sour Diesel, Purple Diesel boasts its energizing effects to stay focused while simultaneously being used for relaxation and calming purposes. More than half of regular marijuana users have attested to its antidepressant and anxiety-alleviating end results. Moreover, its exquisitely distinct terpene profile exudes a woody and earthy fragrance accentuated with sweet points.
Popular Dark Purple Weed Strains
Purple weed strains names might sound interestingly fun, but they are coined to make them catchy for commercial purposes and give an idea of their effects and origin. Below are the names of the popular weed strains:
- Granddaddy Purple — Purple strain names include imposing and a bit comedic names such as Granddaddy Purple. As catchy as its name is, there is no doubt it is one of the most popular strains. According to some users, the high hits differently and is widely used to de-stress and alleviate symptoms of other mental illnesses. When cultivated, it gives a whopping 1.4 kg (3 lbs) harvestable buds per plant.
- Purple Kush — A strain hailing from Oakland, California, Purple Kush was bred from crossing two popular stains, Hindu Kush and Purple Afghani. When the strain was out, it became the gold standard according to seasoned cannabis connoisseurs, noting its archetypal blend of earthy and sweet aroma that is perfect for relaxation and night sessions before sleeping. It has a high THC content that could peak up to 27%.
- Obama Kush — Brought forth by quintessential strains, Afghani, and OG Kush cultivars, Obama Kush has indeed a supreme terpene quality giving off a peppery and herby flavor. Its potent sedative effects are described to be invigorating and inspiring but with an intense cerebral lift. Both newbies and experienced users' favorite, the Indica-leaning strain is mainly used in the industry for relaxation and to have a good night's sleep.
- Grape Skunk — Grape Skunk might have the least attractive name, but most cannabis enthusiasts still endear it. As the name implies, its skunky-dominant aroma seamlessly complements with zesty, cheesy, and flowery scents. The euphoric sensation is reported to persist throughout the entire body, making it highly favored by users for its positive tranquilizing effects.
- Purple Skunk — Another least appealing strain name is Purple Skunk, but it possesses the most desirable qualities. Developed by tri-crossing 3 different parents, it's no surprise that it has unmistakable and impactful effects that can alleviate anxiety attacks and leave relaxing effects without being stoned. In addition, the various features versatility in cultivation, which can be grown in cooler climates or within the four walls with artificial light.
Purple Buds Strain Effect
The distinct effects of purple bud strains are widely appreciated and sought after by many cannabis sommeliers. Such lasting effects include the following:
- Improve sleep — Have trouble with a good night’s sleep? The cannabinoids of the purple buds strain were demonstrated to have a good potential in treating insomnia. In a test group of 409 participants, the majority showed significant improvements in perceived insomnia.
- Stimulate food consumption — Numerous studies have shown the appetite-boosting effects of endocannabinoids found in purple weed strains. Some receptors in the brain are “tricked” and make the consumer partake in more food. If you are having eating disorders, purple strains might be for you.
- Boosts productivity sharp-mindedness — For people who cannot stay focused and want to work productively, purple strains were also reported to improve the state of maintaining a sharp mind. Endocannabinoids are thought to interfere with the chemicals that prevent us from staying focused. As a result, it stimulates hyperactive thoughts that keep our attention undistracted.
Purple Marijuanas Strain Growing Tips
Purple Marijuana strains were reported to be a significantly challenging task even for experienced growers. However, understanding its growth habits and requirements is the key to successful cultivation such as the following:
- Know your variety — You must know what is in your arsenal, whether bushy or tall, to know what’s best for its kind. For example, if you have limited space, you would want to look for a low-lying strain such as Purple Kush.
- Remember, the sun is your best friend - Sun is the energy source for plants to start synthesizing carbohydrates and other important chemicals. If you have a bushy variety, ensure to expose it to full sunlight or at least 8-10 hours of exposure to artificial light.
- Train your plants — Training is a technique proven to boost the bud production of marijuana, including the purple trains. This is done by twisting and arching some branches to orient the leaves better to catch more sunlight and to produce side branches, creating more bud production sites.
- Avoid packing plants close together — Closely planted cannabis, especially the bushy strains, should be allocated with enough space to allow good air circulation. Jampacked plantations create a humid environment inviting mildew and other foliar diseases to attack.
- Follow the right fertilization schedule — High-yielding cannabis strains usually demand a higher nutrient ratio. Do not forget to fertilize it with a complete fertilizer containing nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, primarily in the vegetative stage.
Is Purple Marijuana Better than Ordinary Strains?
There is not enough evidence to support this claim, but purple strains are reported to be more potent than the regular strains with their relatively high cannabinoid content. The effects are said to last longer than the readily available versions.
Are Purple Strains Stronger than Other Ones?
Most purple strains have more or less similar effects, although some may vary in cannabinoid content. The bottom line is the terpene profile that sets a distinct and unparalleled flavor compared to the other ones.
What Is the Strongest Purple Weed Strain?
Most purple strains are bred to have higher effects due to their THC content. However, some varieties with exceptionally high active compounds may have a more substantial impact, such as Purple Kush, Purple Afghani, and Purple Urkle.