Senecio Rowley (Senecio Rowleyanus) — one of the most easily recognizable and extravagant succulents. It looks just as it sounds, with round green spherical leaves that look more like pears than pearls.
It is an evergreen, fast-growing, amply, very fragile, easily shrinking succulent with a special form of hanging long shoots and unusual spherical leaves.
Soothes are thin, almost filamentous lengths from 60 cm to 1 m. They are elegantly hanging from the edges of the pot.
Juicy, fleshy, shiny, 5-6 mm in diameter, they are very tender. The pattern on the light green surface of round leaves is translucent.
By the way, this kind of leaf structure is called the leaf window. These structures allow succulents to maximize the process of photosynthesis in leaf surface area.
This plant is succulent, which means that care requirements are very simple:
- It needs at least 6 to 8 hours of bright, indirect sunlight indoors;
- Outdoors it grows well in a partially shaded spot;
- Keep it at the average indoor temperature of 70° - 80° degrees Fahrenheit;
- This plant is very sensitive to overwatering, so keep the soil slightly dry and water it once every two weeks
- During winter, water less frequently;
- Put it in a hanging basket and avoid placing it in any humid areas;
- Be sure the plant is out of reach of children and pets;
- Now, let’s take a closer look at the basic growing recommendations.
It does not tolerate excess moisture in the soil, it should be watered only after it dries out. The most comfortable air humidity is 50-60%. If the numbers rise higher, it will cause rotting of the roots. Prolonged exposure to conditions over 70% can lead to plant death.
The frequency of watering is selected individually for each plant.
Warm spring through fall Keep your string of pearls at 70 to 80°F (21-27°C) in spring-summer. In winter it is preferable to keep it near 55-60°F (13-16°C).
Give it a cool 55-60°F (13-16°C) temperature. Cut back on watering but don’t allow the potting mix to dry out completely. Cool dry conditions may promote blooming in spring.
During winter months, reduce watering. Keep the plant at 55-60°F (13-16°C) and remember that it can’t stand drafts.
It likes diffuse and bright indirect sunlight. It will not do well under direct sunlight. When growing outdoors, it needs to be placed in partial shade. Find a good spot, where the plant can be protected from direct sunlight.
Indoors, it needs to be placed in a bright spot in the house.
Succulents need excellent drainage. The best choice for them is succulent or cactus potting mix. Choose a small terracotta pot, because this plant doesn't need a lot of space. It even grows better in a small shallow pot.