Do you have a favourite coffee mug? Just like many of us have our rituals, plants would also like to be cared for with proper gardening equipment. Watering is crucial to keep houseplants alive. Thus, it is not only important to do it correctly; the type and material of watering can matter as well. Here, we analyze the different convenient options.
Watering cans are divided into two main groups: garden and indoor. For plants that grow at home, an indoor watering can is unconditionally needed. It has a small volume and a fine tip.
The indoor watering can is used for:
- Point watering.The small tip makes watering much more comfortable. You can water in very hard-to-reach places without being afraid that flood will occur.
- Watering the seedlings. Similar: since you can water a little and pointwise, you can eliminate the risk of overflow.
- For liquid fertilizers. You can pour in fertilizer for your indoor flower in a very delicate stream (which is important as overerfertilizing is easy).
The indoor type differs from the garden type in its construction. The first one has a long spout that exceeds the size of the body, which is created for ease of watering.
The volume, of course, is also less, it reaches about 1-2 liters. Meanwhile, the outdoor type has twice as much, so it feels comfortable in hands.
In most cases, the choice is made between plastic and iron.
- Metal. You can immediately assess the strength of the material, which is more problematic to defect. The main metals for manufacturing are zinc, stainless steel or copper. Of course, because of the materials themselves, the weight of the watering can is much higher than that of a plastic one, besides, the volume of water fits there more. You should always take care of such a tool: corrosion can begin to form at the bottom. The watering cans made of copper or zinc have an antiseptic and fungicidal effect. Watering cans made of metal are usually used in the garden.
- Plastic. These are of low weight, which is among the advantages. Also, the manufacturers offer much more varied design than for metal ones. Here, you can choose any color or ornament that you like.
There is a huge variety of watering can nozzles available on the market. Consider buying at least a few of them for better experience.
- If you need a high pressure in one stream, then the nozzle is not needed at all.
- Scattered jets and not a strong pressure implies a “shower” nozzle. The more holes there are, the more volumetric irrigation can be done.
Before watering your plant, make sure that the nozzle is tightly fastened so that it does not fall, damaging it.
- Make sure the watering can is stable and has a wide mouth. Thus it will be easier to fill it with liquid, and with a stable case, it will not turn over by itself, flooding everything in the area.
- If you want to buy a separate watering can for watering with top dressing, we advise you to choose one with graduated marks in order to keep the required amount of the substance.
- Comfort. While in the store, make sure that the handle is comfortable for you and your hand.
- Before buying, carefully inspect the inventory so that it is free of defects, with good seams (if the watering can is made of metal).
Decorative watering cans
Not all watering cans are functional, some are created solely for beauty. Gardeners use them instead of pots, choosing the most stylish options. Some people even use the old cans to create interesting prints and drawing. This may become an original contribution to your home decor. We also recommend covering the paint with a colorless varnish. (Hint: today, the black watering cans are in trend).