The main measures you can apply to control this pest are primarily a matter of proper maintenance of the garden. Here’s what you can do to keep away the plants in your garden from a thrip infestation: take care of your garden soil, water it regularly and apply mulch on it.
It is known that thrips are attracted to plants that are already ill or unhealthy and thus, they can often be seen on plants:
- growing in harsh conditions, such as in dry land, not irrigated and without mulch on it;
- eliminate all vegetal residues, such as dry or wilted flowers;
- do not fertilize the soil more than necessary, as this will encourage the growth of other juicy plants, that will attract other pests, such as aphides;
- cultivate plants that are adapted to the environment from the area; if you cultivate plants that prefer sun, in a shady and chilly area, they will become more predisposed to thrip infestation.
- be vigilant and periodically inspect the plants to see if they have or have not been infested.