What toxic substances may the air contain?
1. Formaldehyde. It is a colorless gas that is found in chipboard or fiberboard furniture, carpets, furniture upholstery, tobacco smoke and even plastic dishes. It can cause a strong allergic reaction, asthma or irritation of the mucous membranes.
2. Benzene. It can cause the heartbeat and dizziness to increase. In some cases, benzene leads to damage of the gastrointestinal tract.
3. Ammonia. Ammonia is a gas that affects the respiratory tract; thus causing sharp or dry coughs. In case of contact with the skin, severe burns and swelling occur.
4. Trichlorethylene. A strong carcinogen found in chlorinated water, printer cartridges, paints, and varnishes. It causes irritation of the skin and mucous membranes, affects the liver, and kidneys. In high concentration, it can even provoke cancer.
5. Xylene. It is often used in the production of various types of plastics, adhesives, and is found in tobacco smoke. It adversely affects the nervous system, circulatory system, causes irritation of the skin and mucous membranes.