Get closer to nature and learn how to take proper plant care of your plants with great literature. After all, you can read gardening books not only when you need to learn something specific, as they open up a lot of new things for you!
Plant experts compile their guides by combining extensive information with great photos of houseplants. Books like these will help you develop your skills and instill a love of plant care. They will teach you everything from proper watering cadence to interesting home design ideas using flowers.
In this article, we have selected the best houseplant books for beginners and experienced gardeners in 2022. Enjoy reading!
List of Best Plant Books in 2022
Looking for top gardening indoors trends? Prefer classic tips that are always relevant? Or are you willing to experiment? Check it out and choose your perfect indoor plant guide with our book list!
PlantIn Plant Hero Guide
We support you daily in our app and decided to collect all essentials about indoor gardening in one place. Check our Plant Hero Guide! You can use it to discover unique ways to care for houseplants: + 420 hacks and +300 insights!
Get all the expert tips in one place. All to make plant care easier and more efficient.
Benefits of our Plant Hero Guide:
- PlantIn Plant Hero will save you time because we tested the care methods we offer and left room for experimentation.
- Gain knowledge quickly. We've divided the book into topics to make it easier to find a solution to a problem.
- Simple explanations of complex processes will help you feel like a superhero in gardening, even with your first plant.
By giving preference to our book, you'll save about 250 hours, find a simple answer to a difficult question, and learn how not to make the same care mistakes. And with unlimited access, the PlantIn Plant Hero Guide will be relevant to any issue at any time!
You can buy our guide here and use the electronic version or print it out.
Wild at Home: How to Style and Care for Beautiful Plants
With Hilton Carter's encouraging suggestions, you may transform your house into a more attractive and healthy place to live. Reading this book is like visiting the author's apartment and discovering how to create your own urban jungle. As the owner of more than 200 plants, Carter firmly believes that having houseplants has both aesthetic and health benefits and is a crucial component of interior design.
Benefits of Wild at Home:
- The reader will find many lifehacks for growing and propagating plants at home.
- Many valuable tips about interior design and landscaping, and plant combinations nearby.
- A boost of energy from a man who is just crazy about plants.
Price: Kindle $17.49 | Hardcover $11.56
Living with plants: a guide to indoor gardening
Living with plants is a practical plant guide book to help you choose pots for your home according to your budget and the conditions for greenery to thrive in each particular room. With this book, it's super easy to create a design with greenery that will add coziness and style to your house.
Benefits of Living with plants:
- It has pieces of advice on both design and growing plants and the main problems that may arise in the process.
- The author offers insights and life hacks on how to create beautiful things with plants in the interior on a budget.
Price: Kindle $11.99 | Hardcover $36.84
The New Plant Parent: Develop Your Green Thumb and Care for Your House-Plant Family
While this book discusses plant care and propagation, its value comes from assisting readers in understanding the whys of plant care. You'll be able to grow happier and healthier plants if you learn how to care for them holistically and understand what to do to make your herb thrive in your home.
Benefits of The New Plant Parent:
- Teaches the art of understanding the needs of plants and creating a home for them with the right balance of light, water, and nutrients.
- Helps you become a more considerate gardener who pays attention to the needs of plants rather than strictly following watering rules.
- The photos in the book are a unique aesthetic!
Price: Hardcover $8.03
Urban Jungle: Living and Styling with Plants
Igor Josifovic and Judith de Graaff
This book takes you on a fantastic journey through five European homes with gardens or a few houseplants, demonstrating how attractive, unique, creative, and artistic "green" living can be. Additionally, this couple of bloggers from Urban Jungle offer plenty of plant-style ideas that are easy to copy for your house.
Benefits of Urban Jungle:
- True stories and photographs of various gardens and homes will inspire you to create your own ideas. The aesthetics of living with plants is 100 percent revealed.
- An active online community is constantly sharing the life of their flowers.
Price: Kindle $17.05 | Hardcover $10.00
Plant Identification Terminology: An Illustrated Glossary
James G. Harris and Melinda Woolf Harris
This is a guide for enthusiasts or those who want to broaden their plant care skills. It will be an excellent choice if you want to learn more about the structure of herbs and how to properly identify them. Plant Identification Terminology, like Botany for Gardeners, is a common book in botany courses and agriculture schools, and it contains every botanical phrase you will ever need! This book has it all if you like detailed, scientific ways of explaining growth patterns, flower shape, or leaf texture.
Benefits of Plant Identification Terminology:
- The book deepens your knowledge and is consistent if you already have basic skills in plant care.
- Although it is largely based on scientific data, it is understandable even to beginners.
- All necessary definitions of basic terms are collected in one place.
Price: Paperback $19.90
Grow in the Dark: How to Choose and Care for Low-Light Houseplants
Lisa Eldred Steinkopf
The book is for beginners and people who don't have sunny windows in their houses or offices. If both points are about you, this book is a great place to start. It has 50 low- to medium-light plants and instructions on caring for them. The guide is dedicated to the best plants to grow in a dim or dark room. The author, Lisa Eldred-Steinkopf, reveals the information she has gathered from caring for her home jungle of more than 1,000 indoor plants.
Benefits of Grow in the Dark:
- Detailed descriptions will tell how to properly water plants, pot them, fight pests and various diseases. The reader will also learn which houseplants are safe to keep near pets.
- This guide will help all plant lovers develop your home garden so it thrives, either you live in a dingy upstairs apartment or in a garden-level dungeon.
Price: Kindle $11.99 | Hardcover $11.50
How to choose the best book about plants?
There are more and more books about plants and gardening, so how do you choose the one that will be the most useful and not just collect dust? Here are some tips for picking one:
- Define your needs. Do you want to use plants in design or learn how to grow them from seed? Choose a house plant guide that meets your goals.
- Pay attention to your level of knowledge. If you are a beginner, complex experiments or gardening terms will discourage you from reading gardening books for a long time. Start small. The world of plants is fascinating; gradually becoming an expert in it will be an enjoyable experience.
- Don't be lazy to make your own research. Check out reader reviews on several independent websites, or go to a bookstore to see the books yourself and choose your own.
It's not easy to give perfect advice, but the authors collected in that article did try. Choose books that provide information in a way that you are comfortable with. Usually, wherever you can, look through excerpts and read a few paragraphs to get a feel for the author's style. You have a lot to choose from, that's the main thing, although you may be confused at first. Don't be afraid to experiment, because the world of plants is fascinating!
We hope that with plant book assistance, it will be much easier for you to grow your big or small garden, and you will definitely find some new ideas. In the meantime, PlantIn is always on hand to help.